AGORA is an interdisciplinary and international research network aimed at advancing knowledge on the use of crowdsourcing and social media for supporting decision-making in disaster risk management with a view to improve the resilience of cities against disasters and extreme events. It was started by Dr João Porto de Albuquerque at the Institute of Computer Science and Mathematics of the University of São Paulo (Brazil) and at the GIScience Research Group of the University of Heidelberg (Germany), and since his move to the Centre of Interdisciplinary Methodologies of the University of Warwick in January 2016, the network has been expanded to include this institution as well.
AGORA aims to support communities in building resilience against natural disasters and extreme events, with a particular focus on flooding. In this website, you can discover the latest news about our activities. Furthermore, explore this website to find out more about the AGORA team and all involved collaborators, as well as the projects and tools created and the publications of our research.
Impact and Media Exposure
The work of the AGORA research group has been covered by national and international media in the following opportunities:
- 05/July/2018: Agência FAPESP: https://goo.gl/qaiKzD
- 05/July/2018: Radio CBN Vitória: Interview given to the radio: https://goo.gl/RUzsJX
- 02/July/2018: News story at Correio Brasiliense: https://goo.gl/PDb86a
- 25/Jun/2018: Portal do ICMC (Press office): https://goo.gl/3Ekgdx
- 19/May/2015: News story at Record News Paulista
- 18/May/2015: Correio Brasiliense (impresso), caderno Tecnologia, p. 14: “Ajuda a distância”.
- 16/May/2015: Ageuniara: http://goo.gl/GIfx0r
- 11/May/2015: Agência FAPESP: http://goo.gl/TOU4sd
- 10/May/2015: Radio UFSCar: Interview given to the radio.
- 07/May/2015: Radio UFMG: Interview given to the radio.
- 06/May/2015: Radio USP: Interview given to the radio.
- 06/May/2015: BBC news (mention to the activities of USP into the international collaboration network): http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32603870
- 05/May/2015: Portal UFBA (Press office): http://goo.gl/FsxFj5
- 05/May/2015: Portal do ICMC (Press office): http://goo.gl/M1pNHE
- 05/May/2015: Rede Globo – Bom dia Brasil (National broadcast): http://goo.gl/IImtRx
- 03/May/2015: Portal Rádio Bandeirantes: http://www.band.uol.com.br/m/conteudo.asp?id=100000749139#foto1
- 02/May/2015: Portal G1: http://goo.gl/OCvkSg
- 02/May/2015: Radio CBN: Interview given to the journal.
- 01/May/2015: Rede Globo, EPTV journal: http://g1.globo.com/sp/sao-carlos-regiao/jornal-da-eptv-2edicao/videos/t/edicoes/v/alunos-da-usp-sao-carlos-trabalham-para-orientar-as-equipes-de-ajuda-humanitaria-no-nepal/4149797/
- 30/April/2015: Blog HOT OSM: http://hotosm.org/updates/2015-04-30_volunteers_from_around_the_world_help_hot_map_nepal
The AGORA network has secured funding through a number of different project grants of the following funding agencies: